Huntington Fire Department launches recruitment campaign
The Huntington Fire Department is now accepting applications through June 19, 2020.
Applications are available in Room 16 (City Clerk’s Office) at City Hall, located at 800 5th Ave., from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Applications can also be downloaded in the “Document Center” section of the City of Huntington’s website (www.cityofhuntington.com) but must be submitted to the City Clerk’s Office. Applicants are advised to use social distancing guidelines and are advised to wear a mask when dropping off their application.
You must be a U.S. citizen, be between the ages of 18 and 35 (cannot have reached 36th birthday at time of application), and have a high school diploma or GED equivalent to be eligible to apply.
Starting salary is $38,164 and increases to $44,626 after the fifth year.
- Firefighters work an average 56-hour work week with all hours over 40 hours being paid at time-and-a-half.
- Longevity pay. After completing 3 years of service, an increase of $0.03 per hour per year is added to hourly rate. (Example: 3 years of service would equal $0.09 added to hourly rate. 10 years of service would equal $0.30 added to hourly rate).
- Paid vacation. After the completion of 1 year of service, all firefighters receive 12 24-hour shifts of paid vacation time each year. After 7 years of service, all firefighters receive 15 24-hour shifts of paid vacation time each year. After 14 years of service, all firefighters receive 18 24-hour shifts of paid vacation time each year.
- Holidays. All firefighters that work on any state holidays will receive overtime pay for working.
- Hospitalization. All firefighters are eligible for Blue Cross/Blue Shield health insurance at a rate of $90 per month for individual coverage or $217 per month for family coverage. Vision coverage and prescription plan are included.
- Health Reimbursement Account. All firefighters who are covered by the City’s health insurance plan will receive a Health Reimbursement Account in the amount of $1,000 for individual coverage or $2,000 for family coverage annually.
- Life Insurance. All firefighters receive a $35,000 employer paid life insurance policy.
- Pension plan. All firefighters are included in the state pension plan.
- After completion of a one-year probationary period, all firefighters are eligible for membership in the International Association of Fire Fighters Local 289.
- All firefighters also have additional job security under state civil service laws.
- Opportunity to earn an associate’s degree through Mountwest Community and Technical College with educational credits for on-the-job training through the state apprenticeship program.
A written exam for eligible candidates has tentatively been scheduled for 5 p.m. Thursday, June 25, at the Tri-State Fire Academy, 4200 Ohio River Road. It should be noted that the top 100 passing scores advance to the Candidate Physical Abilities Test (CPAT) and each candidate advancing will be notified sometime after the written exam (typically 7-10 days) of their specific date and time to report for the CPAT.
All candidates will attend at least two mandatory orientation sessions within eight weeks prior to the official CPAT test date. This will give each candidate hands-on familiarity with the actual CPAT equipment. The CPAT orientation sessions are tentatively scheduled for June 29, July 6 and July 13. All of the sessions will take place at 9 a.m. at Centennial Fire Station, 839 7th Ave.
All candidates will perform at least two timed practice runs, using actual CPAT equipment, within four weeks of the official CPAT test date. The timed practice runs will be conducted at Centennial Fire Station. The tentative dates of the practice runs are July 29 and 30 and Aug. 12 and 13. All of the practice runs will begin at 10 a.m. The tentative CPAT test dates are August 20 and 21.
All testing dates are subject to change.
Candidates who successfully complete the written exam and CPAT will be placed on an eligibility list. All new hires will be selected from the eligibility list.