Contractor and Subcontractor

The City of Huntington requires all persons desiring to perform contracting work within city limits to be licensed with the City of Huntington to ensure capable and skilled craftsmanship utilized in construction projects in this state, both public and private, and fair bidding practices between competing contractors through uniform compliance with the laws of this city and state, and protection of the public from unfair, unsafe and unscrupulous bidding and construction practices. For more information on Contractor Licensing, visit Article 752, or for more information on the official building code, visit Article 1711 in the City of Huntington's Code of Ordinances. 

Article 1711.05 Permit Required "Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by code, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit."

Permitting Contract Policy | Date of Policy / Procedure Update: January 2, 2016

This Policy will ensure accurate and up-to-date information is being collected on projects throughout the city.


Effective January 2nd, 2016 there will be new criteria needed for persons applying for building permits. A copy of the official contract between the General Contractor and the person initiating the project must be provided to the permitting office.

The official contract(s) between the General Contractor and the subcontractors working on the project also need to be provided. These contracts should include the total amount (including labor and materials as applicable) each subcontractor and General Contractor will receive for the completion of the project. The contract(s) should also contain the name, phone number, and mailing address of the subcontractor or General Contractor.

If copies of the contracts cannot be provided when the permit is being issued, the permitting office may accept a copy of the “Notice to Proceed” form. These forms should reflect the information in the official contract and be provided for every contractor and subcontractor. If the contractor does not have a “Notice to Proceed” form a copy can be provided to them by the permitting office. If the contractor decides to use the “Notice to Proceed” form, the permitting office will need copies of the official contracts before Building Final will be issued.

These rules also apply to any subcontractor who has their subcontractors working on the same project. They too must supply copies of all official contracts between them, acting as General Contractors, and their subcontractors.

This policy can be waived under the discretion of the Supervisor of Inspections & Permits Division.


City of Huntington: Contractor Packet (The Contractor Packet includes Contractor and Subcontractor Requirements, City of Huntington Business License Information & Application, Permitting Contract Policy, Building Permit Application,  Stormwater Utility Determination Form, Subcontractor List, Application Fee schedule, and Request for Release)

City of Huntington: Request for Release

City of Huntington: Building Permit Application

City of Huntington: Subcontractor List


City of Huntington: Boundary Map  (The City of Huntington Boundary Map allows you to enter an address on the top left-hand search bar and see if the address is within city limits. If the address comes up green then it is within city limits)

City of Huntington: Building Permit Fee Schedule

City of Huntington: Current Codes are  IBC 2018, IPC 2018, NEC 2020, and Fire and Life Safety NFPA1-21 ed


1) All General Contractors and Subcontractors will need to obtain a Huntington Business License before conducting business within the city limits.

  • The Business License is $20.00 per fiscal year (July 1 to June 30).

2) You will need to provide the following documentation when applying for a business license:

    a. A copy of your West Virginia Contractor’s License from the WV Division of Labor (if applicable).

     b. A copy of your Certificate of Liability Insurance.

  • Provide documentation showing the General Liability is at least $300,000/$600,000.
  • The City needs to be listed as the Certificate Holder. Please include our mailing address: P.O. Box 1659 Huntington, WV 25717.

      c. A copy of your WV Business Registration Certificate from the West Virginia State Tax Department.  

3) A copy of the official contract between the General Contractor and the person initiating the project must be provided with your building permit application.

4) General Contractors will need to provide a list of Subcontractors with their contact information when applying for a permit.

      a. General Contractors are liable for Business and Occupation Taxes that have not been filed by their Subcontractors.

5) All Contractors and Subcontractors will need to file Business and Occupation (B&O) Taxes

      a. Business and Occupation Tax is 2% of the gross receipts on labor and materials.

      b. You will need to list your Project Name, Location, and Gross Income on the back of the return (Schedule C).

  • Completing the form will ensure the General Contractor will receive the B&O Tax Releases in a timely fashion.
  • Make sure to indicate on the form if there is no reportable activity during the filing period and return by the due date to avoid unnecessary delinquent notices.

6) City Service Fee (CSF) will need to be withheld from employees' paychecks.

       a. The fee is $5.00 per week for every week worked inside city limits.

      b. CSF is required to be collected for each employee for every week that the employee has worked inside city limits regardless of the amount of time worked each week.

7) Effective January 1, 2012, WV Sales and Use Tax increased from 6% to 7% inside city limits.

       a. For more information, contact the West Virginia State Tax Department at 800-982-8297. 

8) General Contractors must submit a Request for Release for each Subcontractor once the project has been completed. 

State Information 

West Virginia State Tax Department: 800-982-8297

West Virginia Divison of Labor: 304-558-7890

West Virginia Division of Labor: A Step-by-Step Guide for obtaining a Contractor License

West Virginia Division of Labor: Statutes & Rules and Forms

West Virginia State Tax Department: West Virginia New Business Registration Application

Office of the West Virginia Attorney General: A Consumer's Guide to Hiring Contractors for Home Repairs

WV Division of Labor: Title 28 Procedural Rule Series 4 - Written Contracts for Service