Business License

Business License Application

In order to conduct business in the City of Huntington, you must obtain a Huntington Business License. Any entity that requires a West Virginia Business Registration Certificate must get a Municipal Business License. The Business License Application will need to be completed and submitted to the Finance Division (please read the information below for additional steps that may be needed).  A business license is valid for one year starting on July 1 and ending on June 30. A business license renewal will be sent out around the first of June each year. All business licenses expire on June 30 of each year. Business license fees are not prorated.

Below is a list of general information regarding the application process:

  • All applicants must have a valid West Virginia Business Registration Certificate prior to obtaining a City of Huntington Business License.
  • The fee for the General Business License is $20.00.
    • Exceptions include real estate, and businesses selling alcohol or having video lottery. 
  • If you occupy a physical location within the city, you will need a Certificate of Occupancy to ensure the location is approved by the Planning Department for the particular activity being licensed. 
  • If you are working from your residence, a Home Occupation Permit is required. To begin this process, you may contact the Planning Technician at (304) 696-5540, option 3. 
  • Contractors and Subcontractors: For faster processing, contractors, and subcontractors will need to provide a copy of the WV Business Registration Certificate, WV State Contractor’s License (if applicable), and Certificate of General Liability Insurance with the City of Huntington listed as the certificate holder. 
  • Rental:  Any person(s) who furnishes a real property for lease or rent for any purpose, which includes Class 4 properties, is required to obtain a Business License and a Residential Rental Unit License.
  • Mobile Food Vendors: (Food Trucks/Carts) need to obtain a Mobile Food Vendor Permit from the Planning Department prior to obtaining a business license.
  • Outdoor Dining Permit: The Planning Department reviews and approves applications for Outdoor Dining on the public right-of-way.
  • A Business and Occupation (B&O) Tax Return and City Service Fee (CSF) Form will be mailed quarterly once the business license has been obtained.


Alcohol Sales

Craft Beverage Production

Limited Video Lottery

Mobile Food Vendor 

Mobile Vehicle Wash Facility 

Tattoo Parlors and Body Piercing

Itinerant Vendor