To provide a bright new day to the youth of the Fairfield community by offering a safe environment for the arts, education, recreation and celebration in order to increase opportunities for personal and collective growth.
The A. D. Lewis Community Center was built in 1967. It received the name A. D. Lewis from a pastor at 16th Street Baptist Church. The Rev. Albert Dennis Lewis started a community center in the basement of the church to provide a safe place for the youth of the Fairfield West community. Pastor Lewis allowed the youth to play ping pong, pool and other activities to keep them busy and off the streets.
The Center was built adjacent to the community pool that was established for blacks. The pool was constructed in 1953 so there would be a place for them to swim. Prior to that, black Huntingtonians could only swim on Mondays at a pool in Ironton, Ohio.
At the time the Center was built, it was just a gymnasium. In 1974, when the Boys and Girls Club of America took over management of the Center, the game room, weight room, cafeteria and kitchen were added. The Boys and Girls Club ran the Center until 1976. After that time, it was maintained and operated by the City of Huntington.
The goal of the Center is to see that all youth in the Fairfield community have a chance to succeed in life and become productive citizens through education. To help our youth, the Center offers afterschool tutoring, incentives for making honor roll and education-oriented field trips.
- Meals for youths
- Afterschool program
- CheckM.A.T.E.S. (focuses on math, the arts, technology, engineering and science)
- Indoor and outdoor basketball courts
- Outdoor public swimming pool
- Thomas T. Hill Track and Field
- Fitness room
- Game room
- Computer lab